NEW YEAR'S DAY
Chanting of the Hanuman Chalisa -108 Times
Sat. Jan. 1, 2011 · 8:00am - 7:00pm
@ Dharma Yoga Center West New York City
They will be streaming the event all day on the web at:
The chanting will be led by different singers. Aarti & prasad will be offered upon completion of chanting this 40 verse prayer to Hanuman, 108 times.
Shree Guru charana saroja raja nija manu mukuru sudhari
Taking the dust of my Guru's lotus feet to polish the mirror of my heart
Baranaun Raghubara bimala jasu jo daayaku phala chaari
I sing the pure fame of the best of Raghus, which bestows the four fruits of life.
Buddhi heena tanu jaanike sumiraun pawana kumaara
I don’t know anything, so I remember you, Son of the Wind
Bala budhi vidyaa dehu mohin harahu kalesa bikaara
Grant me strength, intelligence and wisdom and remove my impurities and sorrows
1. Jaya Hanumaan gyaana guna saagara,
Jaya Kapeesha tihun loka ujaagara
Hail Hanuman, ocean of wisdom/
Hail Monkey Lord! You light up the three worlds.
2. Raama doota atulita bala dhaamaa,
Anjani putra Pawanasuta naamaa
You are Ram's messenger, the abode of matchless power/
Anjani's son, "Son of the Wind."
3. Mahaabeera bikrama bajarangee,
Kumati niwaara sumati ke sangee
Great hero, you are a mighty thunderbolt/
Remover of evil thoughts and companion of the good.
4. Kanchana barana biraaja subesaa,
Kaanana kundala kunchita kesaa
Golden hued and splendidly adorned/
with heavy earrings and curly locks
5. Haata bajra aura dwajaa biraajai,
Kaandhe moonja janeu saajai
In your hands shine mace and a banner/
a sacred thread adorns your shoulder.
6. Shankara suwana Kesaree nandana,
Teja prataapa mahaa jaga bandana
You are an incarnation of Shiva and Kesari's son/
Your glory is revered throughout the world.
7. Bidyaawaana gunee ati chaatura,
Raama kaaja karibe ko aatura
You are the wisest of the wise, virtuous and very clever/
ever eager to do Ram's work
8. Prabhu charitra sunibe ko rasiyaa,
Raama Lakhana Seetaa mana basiyaa
You delight in hearing of the Lord's deeds/
Ram, Lakshman and Sita dwell in your heart.
9. Sookshma roopa dhari Siyahin dikhaawaa,
Bikata roopa dhari Lankaa jaraawaa
Assuming a tiny form you appeared to Sita/
in an awesome form you burned Lanka.
10. Bheema roopa dhari asura sanghaare,
Raamachandra ke kaaja sanvaare
Taking a dreadful form you slaughtered the demons/
completing Lord Ram's work.
11. Laaya sajeevana Lakhana jiyaaye,
Shree Raghubeera harashi ura laaye
Bringing the magic herb you revived Lakshman/
Shri Ram embraced you with delight.
12. Raghupati keenhee bahuta baraaee,
tuma mama priya Bharatahi sama bhaaee
The Lord of the Raghus praised you greatly/
"You are as dear to me as my brother Bharat!"
13. Sahasa badana tumharo jasa gaawain,
asa kahi Shreepati kanta lagaawain
Thousands of mouths will sing your fame!”/
So saying Lakshmi's Lord drew you to Himself.
14. Sanakaadika Brahmaadi muneesaa,
Naarada Saarada sahita Aheesaa
Sanak and the sages, Brahma, and the munis/
Narada, Saraswati and the King of serpents,
15. Yama Kubera digapaala jahaante,
kabi kobida kahi sake kahaante
Yama, Kubera, the guardians of the four quarters/
poets and scholars-none can express your glory.
16. Tuma upakaara Sugreevahin keenhaa,
Raama milaaya raaja pada deenhaa
You did great service for Sugriva/ bringing him to Ram,
you gave him kingship.
17. Tumharo mantra Bibheeshana maanaa,
Lankeshwara bhaye saba jaga jaanaa
Vibhishana heeded your counsel/
He became the Lord of Lanka, as the whole world knows.
18. Yuga sahasra yojana para bhaanu,
leelyo taahi madhura phala jaanu
Though the sun is millions of miles away/
you swallowed it thinking it to be a sweet fruit.
19. Prabhu mudrikaa meli mukha maaheen,
jaladhi laanghi gaye acharaja naaheen
Holding the Lord's ring in your mouth/
it's no surprise that you leapt over the ocean.
20. Durgama kaaja jagata ke jete,
sugama anugraha tumhare tete
Every difficult task in this world becomes easy by your grace.
21. Raama duaare tuma rakhawaare,
hota na aagyaa binu paisaare
You are the guardian at Ram's door/
no one enters without your permission.
22. Saba sukha lahai tumhaaree sharanaa,
tuma rakshaka kaahu ko dara naa
Those who take refuge in you find all happiness/
those who you protect know no fear.
23. Aapana teja samhaaro aapai,
teenon loka haanka ten kaanpai
You alone can withstand your own splendor/
the three worlds tremble at your roar.
24. Bhoota pisaacha nikata nahin aawai,
Mahaabeera jaba naama sunaawai
Ghosts and goblins cannot come near/
Great Hero, when your name is uttered.
25. Naasai roga hare saba peeraa,
japata nirantara Hanumata beeraa
All disease and pain is eradicated/
by constantly repeating of your name, brave Hanuman.
26. Sankata ten Hanumaana churaawai,
mana krama bachana dhyaana jo laawai
Hanuman, you release from affliction all those/
who remember you in thought word and deed.
27. Saba para Raama tapaswee raajaa,
tina ke kaaja sakala tuma saajaa
Ram, the ascetic king, reigns over all/
but you carry out all his work.
28. Aura manorata jo koee laawai,
soee amita jeewana phala paawai
One who comes to you with any yearning/
obtains the abundance of the Four Fruits of Life.
29. Chaaron juga parataapa tumhaaraa,
hai parasidha jagata ujiyaaraa
Your splendor fills the four ages/
your glory is renowned throughout the world.
30. Saadhu santa ke tuma rakhawaare,
asura nikandana Raama dulaare
You are the guardian of saints and sages/
the destroyer of demons and the darling of Ram.
31. Ashta siddhi nau nidhi ke daataa,
asa bara deena Jaanakee Maataa
You grant the eight powers and nine treasures/
by the boon you received from Mother Janaki.
32. Raama rasaayana tumhare paasaa,
sadaa raho Raghupati ke daasaa
You hold the elixir of Ram's name/
and remain eternally his servant.
33. Tumhare bhajana Raama ko paawai,
janama janama ke dukha bisaraawai
Singing your praise, one finds Ram/
and the sorrows of countless lives are destroyed.
34. Anta kaala Raghubara pura jaaee,
jahaan janama Hari bhakta kahaaee
At death one goes to Ram's own abode/
born there as God's devotee.
35. Aura devataa chitta na dharaee,
Hanumata se-ee sarva sukha karaee
Why worship any other deities/
from Hanuman you’ll get all happiness.
36. Sankata katai mite saba peeraa,
jo sumire Hanumata bala beeraa
All affliction ceases and all pain is removed/
for those who remember the mighty hero, Hanuman.
37. Jai jai jai Hanumaana Gosaaee,
kripaa karahu gurudeva kee naaee
Victory, Victory, Victory Lord Hanuman/
bestow your grace on me, as my Guru!
38. Jo sata baara paata kara koee,
chootahi bandi mahaa sukha hoee
Whoever recites this a hundred times/
is released from bondage and gains bliss.
39. Jo yaha parai Hanumaana chaaleesaa,
hoya siddhi saakhee Gaureesaa
One who reads this Hanuman Chaleesa/
gains success, as Gauri's Lord(Shiva) is witness.
40. Tulasee Daasa sadaa Hari cheraa,
keejai naata hridaya mahaan deraa
Says Tulsi Das, who always remains Hari's servant'/
"Lord, make your home in my heart."
Pawanatanaya sankata harana mangala moorati roopa
Son of the Wind, destroyer of sorrow, embodiment of blessings
Raama Lakhana Seetaa sahita hridaya basahu sura bhoopa
With Ram, Lakshman and Sita, LIVE IN MY HEART, King of Gods!